My 2020 investment recap

 Here we are at the very end of 2020. As we are closing the year, let us breathe in some air and take a step back to review how the year has gone.


For myself, it has been a deadly roller coaster ride for my investment in equity, which i believe many of you do as well. Let me share my experience here.


For starter, i have been investing in stock market for almost 10 years now. I am the type of investor who likes good company that pays good dividend. So I use my unused fund to invest and yield dividend for me.


So, at the start of the year 2020, i am holding a stock called SXL:ASX (southern cross media). This company is a medium sized company with a good dividend yield and a market leader for radio advertising. My purchase price was 0.865 AUD per share. I invested 90% of my fund in this and leaving 10% as cash.


As you all know everything was smooth and steady until corona comes. My share price started to plumet like many others. But the difference was mine keep on plumeting each day even though others have started to rebound. After few long months, my share price was suspended because of incoming corporate action and this was at if im not wrong @0.14 AUD per share. This was a hammering of 84% of my portfolio value.


At that moment, with all thats going on in the world, fear, uncertainty. I was lost and deflated for sure. Then come the news that all shareholder are going to get diluted 175%. This is the big bomb. I asked for help of my brother,  quite an accomplished accountant to help me analyse the book of SXL.


In that moment, i am able to take a good breather, and think logically and sensibly despite of all thats going on. My work bonus came out, and i decided to purchase all with the remaining 10% of my cash.


So i took full option at 9 cents and i purchase more at 12cents and 13 cents. In my mind, i hold on tightly to my first believe about this company.


At that moment, my average was around 32 cents and my new bought shares average was 10.3 cents. New bought shares i have is around 75% of my total shares.


Within months, price was spiking up and down and eventually i decided to profit the 75% shares at 24 cents.


At this moment around july if im not wrong, i am only down around 35% of my portfolio.


Then i decided to buy back a few more times around 17 cents and sold again when it break 20cents.


Another corporate action that blew my mind, which is the reverse of 10:1. This is the bomb for me and i still manage to squeeze some profit around 2 dollars after the reverse even though i could get a handsome profit around 2.8 AUD but i didnt expect it to jump that much.


My invest return when i decided to enter coal market around october when i bought WHC:ASX, Due to the la nina and rising coal price. I manage to buy and sell 4 times and reap a good reward.


At the end, i manage to get 12.8% return of my total portfolio in 2020. And at this moment i am all cash and waiting for a good time to jump. And i believe AGL will be my next profit maker.


Thanks for reading and i believe many of you went through the same as me. And i wish you guys will get through the worse for those who is yet to get return.

Comments